M. Elizabeth Karns is a lawyer and epidemiologist. Her teaching is directly connected to her practice, which has focused on statistical evidence, occupational illnesses, assault and harassment injuries, and reproductive harms. Professor Karns has been involved in every aspect of the data life cycle, from initial design to post-event forensic evaluations. Her work on data science ethics brings together professional practice norms, individual values, and organizational goals. Professor Karns is currently developing a virtual reality experience based on the unintended consequences of automated fraud detection.
In this course, you will examine the foundations of ethics in both people and organizations. By acquiring the skills to identify the sources of your own ethics, you will strengthen and clarify your ethical stance in the workplace. Through this lens, you will deploy “micro-ethics” in a decisive, purposeful way to situations you might encounter as a citizen in diverse communities such as teams, professional associations, organizations, or employers. This process will be informed by a survey of the “virtue ethics” framework along with mechanisms that help you handle ethical dilemmas. By the end of this course, you will have the necessary foundation to engage with ethics on a deeper level in your personal and professional contexts.
Key Course Takeaways
- Identify the individual ethics that you practice in everyday decision making in your data science work
- Develop and improve your ethical work practices
- Use virtue ethics to develop or improve your ethical work practices
How It Works
3-5 hours per week
100% online, instructor-led
Cornell ILR School
Senior Lecturer, Social Statistics, Cornell ILR School
Who Should Enroll
- Data and machine learning scientists
- Data bank managers and curators
- Model and algorithm developers
- Data protection managers and privacy stewards
- Ethics officers
- IT managers and technology consultants
- Data and business analysts
- Software developers and programmers
- Quality and security engineers
- Compliance professionals
Get It Done
Our programs are expressly designed to fit the lives of busy professionals like you.
cornell's Top Minds
Courses are personally developed by faculty experts to help you gain today's most in-demand skills.
Cornell's internationally recognized standard of excellence can set you apart.
Stack To A Certificate
Request Information Now by completing the form below.
Act today—courses are filling fast.