Rob Kwortnik, Associate Professor of Services Marketing, joined Cornell’s faculty after earning his Ph.D. in Business Administration from Temple University in 2003. He also earned a B.A. in Journalism from Temple and an MBA from California State University, Northridge. Professor Kwortnik’s research focuses on consumer behavior in service contexts, with special attention to service experience management. He has published in the Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Service Research, The International Journal of Research in Marketing, and the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, among others. He has been honored eight times as a Teacher of the Year by students at The Hotel School. Prior to his career in academics, Professor Kwortnik held several professional positions in marketing and was a travel industry consultant. He is a recognized expert on the leisure cruise industry.
On‑Campus Capstone – Advanced Hospitality Strategic Marketing and Brand
This session takes place June 13-16, 2022 on campus at the Cornell Hotel School in Ithaca, NY. Sessions run from 8:00am-5:00pm ET each day.
The Advanced Hospitality Strategic Marketing and Brand Innovation Capstone, part of the Cornell Professional Development Program, is the on-campus component that results in the completion of your advanced certificate. It takes place at the Cornell University campus in Ithaca, NY, at the renowned School of Hotel Administration.
Over four intensive days, you will tackle marketing and brand challenges and collaborate with a network of peers to expand the foundation of your hospitality knowledge.
Days 1 and 2: Creating Value Through Strategic Hospitality Marketing
In this on-campus faculty-led intensive, you'll engage with innovative and practical approaches for addressing strategic marketing challenges to improve revenue, profit, and customer loyalty. Through class discussions, case studies, and real-world examples, you'll learn the latest applications of strategic thinking and analysis to marketing challenges facing the hospitality industry. Case studies and examples will be drawn from hotels, restaurants, and other world-class hospitality firms around the globe. You will walk away with new ideas to significantly improve your business practices then apply these ideas, concepts, and principles from best-practice examples to develop innovative and profitable solutions.
Days 3 and 4: Hospitality Brand Innovation
Brands have become the central organizing principle of most hospitality organizations, guiding every decision and every action. Combining the latest in thought leadership with experiential exercises and case studies, you'll explore how to manage a brand for increased customer loyalty, market advantage, and profitability. Using a proprietary 8P hospitality brand innovation model along with case studies, insights from published research on brand management, and in-class exercises, you'll engage with the essential elements of creating, sustaining, and strengthening your brand.
- Apply concepts of strategy and strategic planning, with an understanding of how both guide all marketing decisions
- Explore the use of consumer research as the foundation of strategy development
- Increase profitability by leveraging marketing activities that hotels use to influence the building blocks of competitive advantage
- Assess the role of customer experience management in designing and implementing brand strategy
- Explore how marketing media (search, social, mobile) affects consumer choice and marketing strategy
- Define important concepts and principles for developing, managing, and growing brands
- Diagnose and analyze contemporary brand management challenges facing hospitality brands to develop innovative, practical, and profitable solutions
- Digital Marketing 360
- Social Media Marketing
- General Managers Program
- Advanced Hospitality Strategic Marketing and Brand Innovation
- Advanced Hospitality Management
- Management 360
- Integrated Marketing 360
- Revenue Management 360
- Hospitality Management 360
- Strategic Hospitality Marketing
- Hospitality Management
- Hospitality Digital Marketing
Chekitan S. Dev is Professor of Marketing at Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration in the SC Johnson College of Business. Since 1986, Professor Dev has taught over 15,000 students and executives both on campus and throughout the world. He is internationally recognized for his teaching and course development and has received multiple awards for teaching excellence from undergraduate students, graduate students, and Ernst & Young.
A globally renowned thought leader with over 125 publications to his credit, Professor Dev is recognized as a leading expert on service branding. He has published his work in some of the highest-quality refereed journals, including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Harvard Business Review, and MIT Sloan Management Review. Professor Dev’s work has been presented at the world’s best business schools, including Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, Oxford, ESSEC, Indian Business School, and National University of Singapore. Research awards he has won include a 2017 Best Service Paper Award (finalist), a 2016 Cornell Hotel School Dean’s Academic Excellence Award, a 2016 Industry Relevance Award, and a 2014 Best Paper (runner-up) Award from INFORMS.
Who Should Enroll
- Hospitality marketing and operations professionals
- Industry professionals interested in analyzing hospitality marketing data to make strategic decisions
- Hospitality marketing managers and professionals who communicate with customers